Generic Name: Alprazolam
Product Name: Xanax
Benzodiazepines potentiate the inhibitory effects of gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA throughout the CNS, resulting in anxiolytic, sedative hypnotic, muscle relaxant and antiepileptic effects).
- Initially 0.25-0.5mg 3 times daily. Range 0.5-4mg daily.
- Initially 0.5-1mg at night, increased by 0.25-1mg every 3 days until symptoms are controlled.
- Maximum 10mg daily.
Elderly and/or debilitated patient:
- Initially 0.25mg 2-3 times daily.
Common side effects
- Memory loss
- Slurred speech
Uncommon side effects
- Paradoxical excitation
- Aggression and hostility
- Decreased libido
- Anterograde amnesia
- Pain and thrombophlebitis with IV injection
- Respiratory arrest with IV use
For further information talk to your doctor.