Generic Name: Fluoxetine hydrochloride
Product Name: Fluohexal
- Major depression
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Pre-menstrual dysphoric disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Panic disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
SSRIs work by selective inhibition of pre-synaptic uptake of serotonin (5- hydroxytryptamine, 5-HT). Fluoxetine has an active metabolite norfluoxetine, that contributes significantly to its effects and has a long half life (up to 16 days). Fluoxetine inhibits CYP2D6 and its active metabolite, norfluoxetine, inhibits CYP3A4. This contributes to specific drug interactions.
- 20mg once daily, gradually increasing if necessary to 60mg daily.
- Use of maintenance doses > 20mg is not usually necessary.
- 20mg once daily, gradually increasing as indicated to 60-80mg daily.
- 10mg daily, do not exceed 20mg daily.
- Continuous treatment: 20mg once daily; Cyclic treatment: 20mg once daily starting 14 days before the anticipated start of menstruation until the first full day of menses.
Common side effects
- Dry mouth
- Weight gain or loss
- Sexual dysfunction
Uncommon side effects
- Extrapyramidal reactions (including Tardive Dyskinesia and dystonia)
- Abnormal platelet aggregation/ haemorrhagic complications (e.g. bruising, epistaxis, purpura)
- Elevated liver enzymes
- Hepatic failure
- Blood dyscrasias
For further information talk to your doctor.