Generic Name: Imipramine hydrochloride
Product Name: Tofranil
- Major depression
- Nocturnal enuresis
- Panic disorder
- Urinary urge incontinence
- Second line treatment in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
Tricyclic antidepressants (TCA’s) exert their effects by inhibiting reuptake of noradrenaline and serotonin into presynaptic terminals.
- 25-75mg daily, increasing by 25-50mg every 2-3 days to 75-150mg daily. Maximum 300mg daily.Urinary urge incontinence:
- 10-25mg 1-3 times daily
- Child > 5 years, 10mg twice daily, increased slowly as clinically indicated in increments of 0.5mg/kg to a daily maximum of 3mg/kg, given in 2 or 3 divided doses.
- In ADHD, serum concentrations do not correlate with therapeutic effects, but may be monitored to minimize toxicity.
- Child 7-10 years: 10-20mg, 30-60 minutes before bedtime; maximum period of treatment is 3 months.
- Child >10 years: 25-50mg 30-60 minutes before bedtime; maximum period of treatment is 3 months.
- Do not use for enuresis in children < 7 years.
Common side effects
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
- Weight gain
- Orthostatic hypotension
- Urinary hesitancy or retention
- Reduced gastrointestinal motility
- Anticholinergic delirium (particularly in the elderly and in Parkinson’s disease)
- Loss of libido
- Other sexual adverse effects
Uncommon side effects
- Slowed cardiac conduction
- T wave inversion or flattening (particularly at high doses)
- Sinus tachycardia
- Gynaecomastia in males
- Breast enlargement and galactorrhoea in females
- Allergic skin reactions
- Manic episodes
- Blood dyscrasias
- Parlytic ileus
- SIADH with hyponatraemia
For further information talk to your doctor.