Generic Name: Flecainide acetate
Product Name: Tambocor
Used for supraventricular arrhythmias causing severe symptoms. Used for life threatening ventricular arrhythmias.
Anti-arrhythmic drug: suppresses abnormal hearth rhythms. Action of medication within 1-6 hours.Long duration of action (about 20 hours)
Tambocor dosage should be adjusted individually, according to clinical status, therapeutic response and tolerance.
Patients with supraventricular arrhythmias can be started on oral therapy in an outpatient setting. Patients with sustained ventricular arrhythmias should have their treatment started in hospital.
Once the desired therapeutic effect has been achieved, the dose should be titrated to maintain the clinical effects and reduce adverse effects.
Plasma level monitoring
Most patients successfully treated with Tambocor have been found to have trough plasma levels ranging 200-1000 nanograms/mL. Higher trough levels are associated with an increased likelihood of adverse cardiac experiences.
Intravenous:Intravenous therapy is indicated when an immediate effect is desired. It should only be used in hospitals where the facilities exist for cardiac monitoring and defibrillation.
Common side effects
- Sinus bradycardia (slow heart rate)
- Dizziness, headache, tremor, nervousness, abnormal sensation, vision disturbances, insomnia, ataxia.
- Fatigue, malaise.
- Shortness of breath, chest pain, palpitations, hyper- or hypotension (high or low blood pressure), oedema, angina, syncope
- Nausea, constipation, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhoea.
- Rash, flushing, dry mouth, fever.Urinary disorders (retention, frequency, polyuria, dysuria)
Uncommon side effects
- ECG abnormalities, heart disorders, heart attacks.bronchospasmimpotence, decreased libido, haematuria, renal failureabnormal LFTs
For further information talk to your doctor.