Generic Name: Lanreotide acetate
Product Name: Somatuline Autogel
Somatuline AutoGel is used for treatment and control of acromegaly (enlargement of face, hands and feets due to abnormal growth hormones), where other therapies such as surgery and/or radiotherapy have failed or in patients who do not respond to drugs called dopamine agonists.
Somatuline Autogel consists of an active ingredient known as lanreotide. Lanreotide is a protein similar to the natural growth hormone, somatostatin, whose function is to signal the release of various growth hormones into the circulation. In comparison, lanreotide acts to inhibit the release of these growth hormones. It is for this reason that lanreotide is used for treatment of acromegaly.
Somatuline Autogel is injected subcutaneously (under the skin) by your doctor every 28 days. The standard dose 60 mg. Somatuline Autogel is available in pre-filled syringes of 60, 90 and 120 mg.For further information on the appropriate dose for your condition, contact your medical practitioner.
S4- Prescription required
Common side effects
- Some discomfort at the site of injury associated with minor redness and swelling, persisting for a few days
- Gastro-intestinal upset such as nausea, vomiting, indigestion (heart-burn), diarrhoea, passing wind
- Feeling sick, dizzy, some headaches
- Increasing or decreasing blood sugar level
- Slowing of the heart rate
Most of these symptoms are short-lived, but if it troublesome or causing concern, contact your doctor.
Uncommon side effects
- Injection site nodules
- Possibility of gall bladder problems. Therefore your medical practitioner will give you a gall bladder scan at the start of Somatuline Autogel treatment and every 6 months thereafter.
- Pancreatic inflammation
- Skin reaction
- Hair loss
- If you are suffering from diabetes mellitus, Somatuline Autogel may aggravate your condition
If any of these side effects are troublesome or causes any concern, you should tell your doctor.
- MIMS Online. Somastostain Autogel. [cited 2007 August 12]. Available from: http://mims.hcn.net.au.ezproxy.library.uwa.edu.au
- Australian Medicine Handbook. Adelaide: AMH Pty Ltd; 2006.
- APPguide online. Somatuline Autogel. [cited 2007 August 12]. Available from: http://www.appco.com.au/appguide/default.asp
For further information talk to your doctor.