Generic Name: Metoprolol tartrate
Product Name: Lopresor
Lopresor is used for the treatment of high blood pressure, angina, after heart attacks and for prevention of migraines.
Metoprolol belongs to a group of drugs called beta blockers. It suppresses the effect of some excitory chemicals on the cardiac muscle, which decreases the amount of work done by the heart which reduces heart rate and blood pressure and relieves the pain of angina.
Metoprolol has a half life of 3-5 hours and is excreted in the urine.
The film coated tablets should be swallowed whole.
Dosage should be individualised. Twice daily dose is optimal.
Common side effects
Most adverse effects are transient and mild.
- 10% of patients: tiredness, dizziness.
- 5% of patients: depression, diarrhoea.
- 3% of patients: shortness of breath, bradycardia (slow heart rate). pruritis (itch), rash.
Uncommon side effects
- Cold extremities, arterial insufficiency, palpitations, peripheral edema (e.g. ankle swelling). Postural hypotension (low blood pressure on standing), chest pain, blurred vision, impotence.
- Bronchospasm (e.g. causing wheezing), dyspnoea (shortness of breath), rhinitis (sneezing, runny nose)
- Confusion, short term memory loss, headache, nightmares, insomnia, drowsiness, personality disorder, abnormal sensation.
- Nausea, dry mouth, gastric pain, constipation, flatulence, heartburn, vomiting, weight gain-Urticarial, psoriasiform and photosensitivity reactions, increased sweating.
For further information talk to your doctor.