Generic Name: Diltiazem hydrochloride
Product Name: GenRx Diltiazem
GenRx Diltiazem is used for:
Diltiazem is a slow calcium channel blocker. It inhibits the influx of calcium ions during membrane depolarisation of cardiac and vascular smooth muscle. Reduction in blood pressure is mediated by relaxation of vascular smooth muscle and resultant decrease in peripheral vascular resistance.
- Initial dose is 180-240 mg once daily. Maximum effect usually seen by 14 days of therapy.
- Dosage can be thus adjusted every 2 weeks.
- Maintenance dose is 240-360 mg/day.
- Initial dose is 180 mg daily and maximum is 360 mg daily.
- Dose should be titrated over 7-14 days.
Common side effects
- First degree atrioventricular block
Uncommon side effects
- Cardiovascular: angina, arrhythmia, atrioventricular block, bundle branch block, congestive heart failure, hypotension, syncope, tachycardia.
- Nervous system: depression, somnolence, insomnia, tinnitus, tremor, nervousness, paraethesia, dream abnormalities, amnesia, hallucinations and gait abnormalities.
- Gastrointestinal: anorexia, constipation, diarrhoea, dry mouth, dyspepsia, vomiting, thirst, weight increase, mild elevations of liver function tests.
- Dermatological: petechiae, photosensitivity, pruritus, urticaria.
- Others: amblyopia, dyspnoea, epistaxis, hyperglycaemia, hyperuricaemia, impotence, eye irritation, nocturia, polyuria, creatine kinase increase.
For further information talk to your doctor.