Generic Name: Ferrous gluconate
Product Name: Fergon
Fergon contains elemental iron to correct iron deficiency and iron deficiency anaemias.
The recommended doses are:
- Adults 15 to 30 mL daily
- Children 5 to 20 mL daily
- Infants 30 drops, gradually increasing to 5 mL daily.
Patients with iron deficiency anaemia should continue therapy until the organs in the body that are responsible for storing iron have had the chance to build up their iron stores.
Common side effects
Side effects of this medication include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Gastrointestinal irritation
- Dark stools
- Transient staining of the teeth, which can be prevented by placing the iron solution on the back of the tongue with a dropper, or by using a straw.
Uncommon side effects
In the case of overdose, the following symptoms may occur:
- Epigastric pain (pain in the upper, central part of the abdomen, below the rib cage)
- Haematemesis (vomit containing blood)
- Melaena (blood in the stools).
If overdose is suspected, seek medical attention immediately.
For further information talk to your doctor.