Generic Name: Moclobemide
Product Name: Chem mart Moclobemide
Moclobemide is a drug used to treat major depression.
Moclobemide is the first of a new class of antidepressants known as reversible inhibitors of monoamine oxidase type A (RIMAs). Depression has been linked to a decrease of certain chemicals, called monoamines, in the brain. Monoamines are broken down by a chemical compound called monoamine oxidase type A. Moclobemide works by inhibiting this chemical, therefore increasing the amount of monoamines in the brain, and relieving depression.
- Moclobemide tablets are either 150mg or 300mg
- Tablets should be taken after meals, and should be divided into two daily doses.
- The recommended initial daily dose is 300 or 450mg
- Your treating doctor will then adjust the dose according to your response, to the recommended usual daily dose range of 300
- 600mg/day – However, if you have liver disease your dose may be less than this
Common side effects
The following are a list of common side effects that people may find when taking this drug:
Uncommon side effects
The following are a list of side effects that have been reported by some people. Development of side effects depends on the individual and you may or may not experience some of the following:
- Problems with memory
- Ringing in the ears
- Allergic skin reaction
- Dry skin
- Urinary problems (increased or decreased frequency)
- Musculoskeletal pain
- Altered taste sensation
- Visual disturbances
For further information talk to your doctor.