Generic Name: Docusate sodium; Sennosides A and B
Product Name: Coloxyl with Senna
Used to treat constipation of many types, including:
- Mild constipation (short-term relief).
- Constipation of pregnancy
- Severe constipation (to soften the impacted faeces).
- Can be used to prevent constipation or straining in patients with:
- Fissures or perianal abscess
- Vaginal wounds from childbirth
- Recent heart attack.
The two components of Coloxyl with Senna work differently:
- Coloxyl (docusate sodium) causes more water to move from the body into the colon, softening the stool.
- Senna works by causing bowel muscles to become more active, thereby helping evacuate the stools.
- 1-2 tablets at night.
- Up to four tablets daily if needed.
Common side effects
- Abdominal discomfort (e.g: cramps or colic).- Flatulence.
Uncommon side effects
Prolonged use or overdose may result in:
- Water and salt imbalance, especially potassium loss
- Hypersenstivity to Coloxyl may be seen
For further information talk to your doctor.