Generic Name: Colchicine
Product Name: Colgout
Colchicine is used for:
- Pain relief in acute attacks of gout
- Prevention of recurrent attacks of gout
- Prevention of gout when a patient is commencing medication to lower their urate levels
Gout is caused by the body’s reaction to the deposition of urate crystals which produces pain and inflammation. Colchicine reduces the body reaction to the urate crystals by reducing the immune response.
Acute attacks of gout
- The initial recommended dose is 1 mg and this may be followed by 1 tablet every 2-3 hours until pain relief is achieved or until side effects are unbearable.
- The maximum recommended dose is 8 mg.
- This regimen should not be repeated within 3 days.
- For the prevention of gout 1 tablet is given once or twice daily.
- Patients with impaired kidney function may require dose alterations
Common side effects
Uncommon side effects
- Bleeding from the stomach or intestines
For further information talk to your doctor.