About Diabetes Australia – Victoria
Vision and Mission
Diabetes Australia – Victoria is committed to minimising the impact of diabetes in the community, helping all people affected by diabetes and contributing to the search for a cure. Their work covers type 1, type 2 and gestational diabetes, as well as programs for people at risk.
They also rely heavily on the generosity of our caring community of members and supporters to help fund our diabetes education, awareness activities and research.
Their core focus areas are people affected by all types of diabetes, this includes people with type 1 diabetes, people with type 2 diabetes, women with gestational diabetes, people with other forms of diabetes, their families and carers, and people at risk of developing diabetes. Diabetes Australia – Victoria works in partnership with consumers, health professionals and researchers. Their strategic priorities are:
- Diabetes leadership: national advocacy, raising profile and awareness and local, national and global influence
- Diabetes management: national self-management programs, prevent complications and building capacity
- Diabetes prevention: prevention programs for those at risk, diabetes and healthy communities, workplaces and environments
- Diabetes research: tell the research story, influence research funding and influence the research agenda
Programs and Services
Diabetes Australia – Victoria offer a range of services including the Clothing Collection which collects second-hand household items seven days a week. We provide information about diabetes, products, services, programs, events and membership via our Diabetes Infoline 1300 136 588. We also facilitate over 60 diabetes community support groups throughout Victoria.
What they do:
- Assist over 260,000 Victorians with diabetes.
- Offer a membership program for people with diabetes, their families, carers and diabetes health professionals. Our current membership is around 70,000.
- Run a kids and teens membership initiative to connect and engage young people with diabetes.
- Provide education, information and support to promote and empower self-management for all people with diabetes.
- Administer the National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS), which is an initiative of the Australian Government.
- Offer a comprehensive range of retail products to assist in diabetes management. Products are available at 570 Elizabeth St and approved pharmacies across Victoria.
- Support individuals with advocacy issues such as workplace discrimination, access to community based services and affordable diabetes medicines.
- Provide a voice for Victorians with diabetes through advocacy at government and community level.
- Assist health professionals by providing them with the information, resources and professional development to help them support their patients.
Other programs and services provided include:
- Administering the National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS), an initiative of the Australian Government. The NDSS program provides blood glucose and urine testing strips, syringes and pen needles and insulin pump consumables for eligible registrants.
- The Diabetes Australia Research Trust, funding research towards the prevention and management and cure for diabetes for Australian diabetes researchers.
- Education and support programs are facilitated through Diabetes Australia’s member state and territory organisations. Head to the website to find your local organisation and the programs and services they offer.
For further information visit www.diabetesvic.org.au or contact Diabetes Australia: 1300 136 588.