About Alzheimer’s Australia
Alzheimer’s Australia is the peak body providing support and advocacy for the 500,000 Australians living with dementia. State and territory Alzheimer’s Associations were originally established as self help organisations by family carers of people with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. The National Federation was formed in 1989 with membership from all states and territories. Alzheimer’s Australia are an active advocate for people with dementia, and represent consumer views to the Government and industry. They have served on national, state and territory Alzheimer association boards, as well as developing and delivering leading edge national dementia programs and services since the 1980’s.
Vision and mission
A society committed to the prevention of dementia, while valuing and supporting the people living with the disease.
To provide leadership, efficacy, policy, services and research for Australians living with dementia, their families and carers. They aim to achieve this through the provision of information, support, advocacy and education services. Their priorities include:
- Improving advocacy and empowering consumers
- Ensuring better quality dementia care
- Increasing the awareness and understanding of dementia
- Identifying effective strategies for preventing and delaying the onset of dementia
Programs and Services
Programs and services provided include:
- National dementia helpline: A 24 hour telephone information and support service available across Australia.
- Counselling: Private and confidential telephone counselling, individual counselling at Alzheimers centers, and home visits by professional staff.
- Support groups: Localised support groups for carers, family, friends and sufferers of Alzheimers to share experiences, feelings and information.
- Information services: Free information sessions are conducted for people concerned about the diagnosis, treatment, management and support of dementia. Various health and update sheets are produced free of charge.
- Education: A range of courses and education programs for health professionals & care workers are offered.
- Promotion: Support of Alzheimer’s related events and scientific meetings.
- Dementia community centre memory activities: This program is provided for people with memory loss, and their carers, and encourages reminescience activity and socialisation.
For further infomation visit, www.alzheimers.org.au or contact Alzheimer’s Australia to find out more information on: 1800 100 500.
|For more information on different types of dementia, memory loss and Alzheimer’s disease, see Dementia.|