Generic Name: Colostrum powder – bovine
Product Name: Travelan
Indication of Travelan
Travelan reduces the risk of traveller’s diarrhoea. It also helps to reduce the symptoms of minor gastrointestinal conditions, and may be useful as an antimicrobial agent.
Your doctor will be able to advise if this product is suitable for you. Consult your doctor before taking any medication or supplement.
Dose advice of Travelan
Travelan tablets should be taken by mouth before eating. The dose recommended by the manufacturer is 1 tablet taken before every meal.
Always read the label. If you have any queries about the correct way to use this product, please ask your doctor. Individual results may vary.
Travelan should not be used under certain conditions:
- Age < 12 months, except on advice from your doctor.
Special care needs to be taken when using Travelan under certain conditions. Tell your doctor if:
- Your symptoms or your child’s symptoms persist whilst taking Travelan. Adults and children > 6 years of age should consult a doctor if they still have symptoms after taking Travelan for 48 hours. You should seek medical advice for younger children earlier:
- Infants < 6 months old if diarrhoea persists for 6 hours.
- Children aged 6 months to 3 years if diarrhoea persists for 12 hours; and
- Children aged 3–6 years if diarrhoea persists for 24 hours.
- You should not take products containing glucose: Travelan contains glucose;
- You should not take products containing cow’s milk or lactose: Travelan contains cow’s milk proteins and lactose.
If you have any concerns, please speak with your doctor.
There is no information regarding the safety of Travelan use in pregnancy.
There is no information regarding the safety of Travelan use in breastfeeding.
Schedule of Travelan
Unscheduled. Travelan is a listed medicine in Australia.1
- Travelan Tablets public summary: No. 106709 [online]. Woden, ACT: Therapeutic Goods Administration, eBS Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods Medicines; 19 January 2009. [cited 27 April 2011]. Available from: URL link
- Travelan: What is Travelan[online]. North Ryde, NSW: Nycomed Pty Ltd; 2011 [cited 27 April 2011]. Available from: URL link
- Manufacturer Product Information: Travelan. North Ryde, NSW: Nycomed Pty Ltd.
Diseases/conditions treated by Travelan:
Please note that the Product Information including information such as what a product should be used for, how it works, the dosage and relevant side effects is created by the company who makes the product. For registered medicines, the Product Information is carefully validated by the relevant Australian health authority, the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA). However, for complementary medicines the Product Information is NOT routinely checked by the TGA. Therefore it is important that you do NOT take any complementary medicine without first speaking with your doctor.