Generic Name: Folic acid
Product Name: Nature’s Own Folic Acid 500 mcg
Indication of Nature’s Own Folic Acid 500 mcg
Folic acid is used in the following situations:
- Treatment of anaemia secondary to folate deficiency
- Prevention of folate deficiency during pregnancy and subsequently preventing neural tube defects in the foetus
- Prevention of folate deficiency during chronic haemolysis and renal dialysis
- To reduce the risk of toxicity in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis that are being treated with methotrexate
Your doctor will be able to advise if this product is suitable for you. Consult your doctor before taking any medication or supplement.
Action of Nature’s Own Folic Acid 500 mcg
Folic acid is a B group vitamin that is required for DNA synthesis, amino acid metabolism and the formation of red blood cells Folic acid is involved in the maturation of all rapidly proliferating tissues and is particularly important during neural tube closure in the developing foetus.
Dose advice of Nature’s Own Folic Acid 500 mcg
Treatment of folate deficiency:
- Adults 5 mg orally once a day for at least 4 months
- Children 0.5 mg per kg orally once a day for at least 4 months
- The maximum recommended dose is m 5 mg once daily
Prevention of folate deficiency in pregnancy:
- In low risk women who have no family history of neural tube defects and are not on antiepileptic medications 500 micrograms orally is given once daily prior to conception and should be continued for the first 12 weeks of the pregnancy.
- In high risk women who have had a previous pregnancy with a neural tube defect, who have a close family history of neural tube defects or who are taking antiepileptic medications, 5 mg orally is given once daily prior to conception and should be continued for the first 12 weeks of the pregnancy.
Prevention of folate deficiency in chronic haemolysis and renal dialysis:
- 5 mg orally with dosing ranging form once a day to once a week
- Alternatively 500 micrograms orally may be given after dialysis.
Prevention of methotrexate toxicity:
- 1-5 mg orally once a day. Folic acid is safe to use during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Always read the label. If you have any queries about the correct way to use this product, please ask your doctor. Individual results may vary.
Intravenous folic acid should be used only when oral administration is not possible.
If you have any concerns, please speak with your doctor.
Schedule of Nature’s Own Folic Acid 500 mcg
Unscheduled. Nature’s Own Folic Acid 500 mcg is a complementary medicine or listed medicine in Australia.
Please note that the Product Information including information such as what a product should be used for, how it works, the dosage and relevant side effects is created by the company who makes the product. For registered medicines, the Product Information is carefully validated by the relevant Australian health authority, the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA). However, for complementary medicines the Product Information is NOT routinely checked by the TGA. Therefore it is important that you do NOT take any complementary medicine without first speaking with your doctor.