A scrumptious recipe, perfect as a side dish for special occasions or a healthy family meal at any time. Containing eggs and prawns, it’s full of protein.
- 250 g white rice
- 4 boiled eggs, peeled and cooled
- 500 g cooked, peeled school prawns
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 bunch shallots, finely chopped
- 2 red capsicums, finely chopped
- 2 cups low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- Boil rice and set aside to cool.
- Combine ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Stir thoroughly so that ingredients are evenly distributed.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Difficulty rating: Easy
- Take care to store prawns in the back part of the refrigerator, the coolest part of the fridge, to prevent them from spoiling.
- Check the labels on different brands of mayonnaise and sour cream and choose the brand with the least fat.
- Substitute brown rice for white rice. Wholegrains like brown rice have more fibre than processed grains like white rice. Fibre is an important micronutrient used by the gastrointestinal system to aid digestion.
- Substitute extra light sour cream (12% fat) for mayonnaise or light sour cream, which both have about 20% fat content. You’ll reduce the amount of fat in the recipe, and reducing fat is an important part of improving your diet. You’ll also increase the calcium content. Calcium is an important micronutrient for healthy teeth and bones. Adding calcium to the recipe is particularly important for people who do not consume enough calcium and some groups of women who have an increased calcium requirement, for example because they:
- Substitute tuna for prawns.
This recipe was designed by Fiona from Caringbah, NSW.
Nutritional analysis per serve:
|Total fat||31.74 g|
|Saturated fat||10.21 g|
|Total sugars||25.92 g|
For more information on nutrition, including information on types and composition of food, nutrition and people, conditions related to nutrition, and diets and recipes, as well as some useful videos and tools, see Nutrition.