Generic Name: Drotrecogin alfa
Product Name: Xigris
Xigris is a fibrinolytic agent used for to reduce mortality in adult patients with severe, life threatening sepsis.
- Xigris (dogrecogin alfa) is human activated protein C made with recombinant DNA technology, it has similar properties to natural human activated protein C.
- Activated protein C increases the breakdown of blood clots and has anti-inflammatory activity.
- 90% of the steady state condition is achieved within two hours of commencing an infusion. After the completion of an infusion, activated protein C concentrations exhibit a biphasic half life with a rapid intial phase of 13 minutes, and a slower second phase of 1.6 hours.
- The mechanism by which activated protein C is cleared from the plasma is unknown.
Continuous infusion: 24 microgram/kg/hour, over 96 hours.
Common side effects
- Increased bleeding
Uncommon side effects
- Serious bleeding (e.g. intracranial haemorrhage, life threatening bleeding or bleeding requiring transfusion of at least 3 units of packed red cells per day for two days) occurs in about 3.5% of patients.
For further information talk to your doctor.