Generic Name: Polyethylene glycol 400 4mg/mL, propylene glycol 3mg/mL
Product Name: Systane
Systane is used to relieve dryness, irritation, burning, grittiness or the sensation of foreign bodies due to environmental factors such as smoke, dust, air conditioning, wind, cosmetics, draughts, ozone, dry heat, ultraviolet light rays, or reduced blink frequency caused by prolonged computer work or television watching.
You are unlikely to be suffering from dry eye syndrome.
You are experiencing a number of symptoms of dry eye syndrome. To improve symptoms, blinking frequently may help, drink plenty of water and avoid rubbing your eyes.
Over the counter treatments are available from your pharmacy or optometry outlet. If symptoms persist speak to your health care professional.
You are very likely to be suffering from dry eye syndrome. Consult your eye practitioner or health care professional to determine what treatments are best to alleviate your symptoms.
This information will be collected for educational purposes, however it will remain anonymous.
Systane forms a protective matrix that adheres to damaged areas of the ocular surface, forming a gel-like scaffold which stabilises the tear film. As the tear film remains on the ocular surface, in the long term it provides a healthy environment for the natural repair process to occur.
Systane Lubricant Eye Drops
This is a multi-dose 15mL bottle that is available over the counter or on prescription.
- Place drops on the eye(s) and blink.
- Instil 1 to 2 drops into each eye 4 times a day, or as needed.
- Discard any remaining contents 4 weeks after first opening.
Systane Unit Dose Lubricant Eye Drops
These are preservative free single dose vials that are available over the counter or on prescription.
- Before use, ensure that vial is intact.
- Completely twist off tab to open, but do not pull it off.
- Instil 1 to 2 drops into eye(s) as often as required or as directed by your health care professional.
- Do not use if this product changes colour or becomes cloudy.
- Discard any remaining contents after use.
Do not share your eye drops.
The correct method of using the eye drops is as follows:
- Wash hand and sit or stand in front of mirror.
- Tilt head back and look upwards.
- With eye open, gently pull down lower lid to form a pouch.
- Approach eye from the side and squeeze one drop into the pouch. Do not let the tip of the dropper touch the surface of the eye, eyelashes, or any other surface to avoid contamination.
- Let go of eyelid and close eye.
- Press a finger gently against the inner corner of the eye (over the tear duct) to stop drop draining away from the eye.
- For a second drop, wait for a several minutes after first drop to avoid washing out of the first drop.
Systane is unscheduled.
Common side effects
If you experience eye pain, changes in vision, continued redness or irritation of the eye, or if the condition worsens or persists for more than 72 hours, discontinue use and consult a doctor or eye care professional. If the solution changes colour or becomes cloudy, do not use.
Do not use if you are sensitive to any ingredient in this product.
If you have any queries about using the eye drops, please ask your healthcare professional.
- Australian Medicines Handbook 2007, Adelaide, Pharmaceutical Society of Australia, 2007.
- MIMS Online. [Monograph online] MIMS Australia Pty Ltd 2003. [Cited May 20, 2008] http://www.mims.com.au/
For further information talk to your doctor.