Generic Name: Buprenorphine hydrochloride
Product Name: Subutex
- Maintenance of opioid dependence
- Opioid withdrawal
Buprenorphine is a partial opioid receptor agonist. Reduces withdrawal symptoms and craving for opioids in opioid dependence
- Initial dose 4mg sublingual in the morning; an additional 2-4mg may be given in the afternoon on the first day.
- Increase daily dose by 2-4mg at 1-3 day intervals, depending on withdrawal symptoms and tolerance of adverse effects.
Usual maintenance range:
- 12-24mg daily
- Dose and length of treatment is tailored according to severity of withdrawal symptoms and tolerance of adverse effects.
- Typical withdrawal regimens use an initial dose of 4-8mg daily, reducing over 5-8 days to zero
- Place tablet under tongue until dissolved- takes 2-10 minutes
Common side effects
Adverse effects may be difficult to distinguish from mild opioid withdrawal:
Uncommon side effects
- Severe itching
For further information talk to your doctor.