Generic Name: Pimozide
Product Name: Orap
- Treatment of acute and chronic psychoses.
- Tourette’s syndrome and other choreas.
Blockade of dopaminergic transmission in various parts of the brain by antagonizing D2 receptors, which results in anti-psychotic effects, including relief from symptoms such as hallucinations, delusions or abnormal behaviour/thought.
- Adult: 2-12mg daily, maximum 20mg daily (use daily doses >12mg under specialist supervision only).
Child – Tourette’s syndrome:
- Initially 1-2mg daily, maximum 0.2mg/kg daily.
Common side effects
- Anticholinergic effects: dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation, tachycardia, urinary hesitancy, increased intraocular pressure, nausea and vomiting, sexual adverse effects.
- Orthostatic hypotension.
- Extrapyramidal effects (Parkinsonism, Akathisia, Dystonias, Tardive dyskinesia).
- Hyperprolactinaemia (may result in galactorrhoea, gynaecomastia, amenorrhoea or infertility).
Uncommon side effects
- Allergic reactions
- Pigmentary changes of skin or eyes
- Corneal and lens opacities
For further information talk to your doctor.