Generic Name: Olmesartan
Product Name: Olmetec
Olmetec is used to control high blood pressure (also called hypertension). Everybody has blood pressure which is important to supply blood around the body, but when blood pressure becomes higher than normal, it may cause damage to blood vessels in organs such as the heart, kidneys, eyes and the brain.
Olmesarten controls blood pressure, by preventing blood vessels from tightening thus allowing more blood flow and reducing your blood pressure.
- Olmetec is only available via prescription from your doctor.
- Can be taken with or without food.
- It should be preferably taken at the same time each day in order to obtain its best effect and to better help you remember when to take it.
- It does not cure high blood pressure, therefore it is important to continue taking it until your doctor tells you to stop.
- While on this medication it is important not to take any supplements containing potassium unless advised by your doctor.
- The medication may also make you feel dizzy especially if you stand up too quickly, if you are affected, get up gradually to avoid that effect. If you feel dizzy sit down or lie down.
Common side effects
All medicines have side effects. Some side effects can be serious, but the most common ones are mild. Common side effects occurring in more than 1% of patients prescribed Olmetec include:
Consult your doctor if you experience any side effects.
Uncommon side effects
These are some side effects that occur in less than 1% of patients and are uncommon. Do not be alarmed by this list, they are uncommon side effects and a patient will not necessarily experience any of these:
- Skin rash
- Muscle Pain, muscle weakness
- Jaundice (yellowing of skin and eyes)
- Passing little or no urine, weakness
- Change in heart rhythm
- Loss of appetite
- Feeling generally unwell, fever
Consult your doctor if you experience any of the above side effects or any other unusual or abnormal symptoms.
- Australian Medicines Handbook. Angiotensin II receptor antagonists. [Monograph online]AMH Pty Ltd 2007. [Cited October 22, 2007] http://www.amh.net.au
- Olmetec. MIMS Online. [Monograph online] MIMS Australia Pty Ltd 2007. [Cited October 22, 2007] http://www.mims/com.au
- Lazo, J, Gilman A, Brunton L, Parker K. Goodman & Gilman’s the pharmacological basis of therapeutics.11th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2005
For further information talk to your doctor.