Generic Name: Terbinafine
Product Name: Lamisil DermGel
- Tinea (ringworm) infections of the body and groin (jock itch)
- Tinea infections of the feet, which is more commonly known as athlete’s foot
- Tinea (pityriasis) versicolor infections
Lamisil DermGel contains an antifungal agent called Terbinafine, which works to kill a group of fungi called dermatophytes which causes fungal infections on the skin, body, feet and groin.
Lamisil Dermgel is only for external use. Avoid contact with the eyes
Clean and dry affected areas thoroughly before using the gel. Apply a thin layer of the gel to the affected skin and surrounding area. Rub it in lightly.
Apply the gel once everyday, or for the period of time advised by your doctor or pharmacist. Likely durations of treatment are as follows:
- Tinea corporis, cruris: 1 week.
- Interdigital tinea pedis: 1 week
- Pityriasis versicolor: 1 week.
For intertriginous infections (e.g. skin folds of breasts or groin, in between the fingers and toes, or between the buttocks), a gauze may be used to cover the application, especially at night.
Usually, the gel relieves the symptoms within a few days. If there is no improvement within one to two weeks, you should consult your doctor as there might be a more serious problem.
You have to use this treatment regularly for it to be effective, otherwise complete recovery may not be achieved.
- Continue using the treatment, for the entire course even if your skin looks better, otherwise complete recovery may not be achieved.
- Store the gel below 25°C
Common side effects
All medicines have side effects. Most commonly the side effects are minor however some can be more serious. Usually the benefits of taking a medication outweigh the associated side effects. Your Doctor would have considered these side effects before starting you on Lamisil DermGel.
Common side effects are those which occur in more than 1% of patients given Lamisil DermGel.
Uncommon side effects
Side effects which occur in less than 1% of patients given Lamisil DermGel are considered uncommon. Patients do not necessarily experience any of these side effects do not become alarmed by this list:
If you experience any of the listed side effects or any other symptoms which appear abnormal or unusual please tell your doctor.
- Australian Medicines Handbook 2007, Adelaide, Pharmaceutical Society of Australia, 2007.
- MIMS Online. [Monograph online] MIMS Australia Pty Ltd 2003. [Cited May 28, 2008]. Available from: [URL Link]
For further information talk to your doctor.