Generic Name: Oestradiol and Norethisterone acetate
Product Name: Kliovance
Kliovance is used for:
- Short term treatment of menopause symptoms, such as hot flushes and night sweats, in women who have not had a hysterectomy.
- Alternative treatment to prevent osteoporosis in women who have gone through menopause and who have not been successful on other treatment.
Your doctor may also give you Kliovance for another reason. If you are unsure why you were prescribed Kliovance, please consult your doctor.
Oestrogen is a group of female sex hormones which are naturally produced by your ovaries. There are many different types of oestrogen. The most common one in your body is called oestradiol. Oestradiol is responsible for promoting the development and maintenance of female characteristics in the body.
When a woman experiences menopause or has a condition which means oestrogen is not being produced at the same level any more, she can experience things such as hot flushes, irritability, sleeping problems and night sweats. In order to reduce these symptoms, Kliovance replaces the oestrogen which was normally produced by her body with the oestradiol in the tablet.
Progesterone is also a hormone produced naturally in your body before you experience menopause.
The norethisterone acetate in Kliovance acts in a similar way to the natural progesterone your body used to make. It is recommended that women who have not had a hysterectomy take a tablet with both progesterone and oestrogen supplements in it. This is because oestrogen by itself can cause irregular bleeding and change the lining in your uterus. Progesterone helps protect the uterus from these actions of oestrogen.
One tablet, at the same time every day. Once you have finished one pack of 28 tablets, start the next pack immediately. Do not leave days in between the packs.
Using the dial packet
Kliovance is packaged in what is known as a dial packet. This is to help you remember to take your tablets and easily shows if you have missed any. To start using the packet:
- Turn the inner dial so the day of the week you are starting the medication on is opposite the opening
- Take the seal off the opening
- Remove your first tablet
- Every day, turn the outer see-through rim, following the arrows marked on the pack, to get your next tablet
If you have accidentally missed a tablet, take it as soon as you remember. If you remember when it is time to take the next tablet, then throw away the forgotten tablet and take the next tablet as normal. You may you experience some light bleeding or spotting.
Common side effects
All medicines have side effects. Most commonly the side effects are minor, however some can be more serious. Benefits of taking Kliovance will often outweigh the side effects. Common side effects are those which occur in more than 1% of patients given Kliovance. These include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Weight changes
- Mood changes/depression
- Breast enlargement
- Breast tenderness
- Abnormal mammograms
- Changes in libido
- Intermenstrual bleeding
- Dry eyes
- Leg cramps
- Abdominal pain
Uncommon side effects
Side effects which occur in less than 1% of patients given Kliovance are considered uncommon. Patients do not necessarily experience any of these side effects. Do not become alarmed by this list:
- Fluid retention
- Changes to blood pressure
- Muscle pain
- Ringing in ears
- Itching or inflammation of the vagina
- Heart palpitations
If you experience any of the listed side effects, or any other symptoms which appear abnormal or unusual, please tell your doctor.
- Australian Medicines Handbook. Bonefos. [Monograph Online] AMH Pty Ltd 2007. [cited December 20, 2007]. Available from: [URL Link]
- Kliovance. MIMS Online [online]. 2003 [cited 2007 December 20]. Available from: [URL Link]
For further information talk to your doctor.