Generic Name: Zalcitabine
Product Name: Hivid
Zalcitabine works by inhibiting the HIV viral DNA synthesis.
- Hivid is most effective if taken at least one hour before food or four hours after food.
- A 0.750mg Hivid tablet should be taken every eight hours whether as a single agent or together with other drugs.
- Total daily dose for Hivid is 2.25mg.
Common side effects
- Peripheral neuropathy (41.6%)
- Oral ulcers (12.8%)
- Nausea (13.1%)
- Diarrhoea (7.5%)
- Vomiting (6.9%)
- Fatigue (15%)
- Headache (17.8%)
- Rash (12.2%)
Uncommon side effects
- Psychiatric disorders such as confusion (2.8%), depression (1.3%) and insomnia (1.3%)
- Heart rate and rhythm disorders (1.3%)
- MIMS Online [online]. 2003 [cited 2007 July 08]. Available from: [URL Link]
- eAPP. [Online]. 2007 [cited 2007 March 01]. Available from: [URL Link]
For further information talk to your doctor.