Generic Name: Adefovir dipivoxil
Product Name: Hepsera
Hepsera is an antiviral drug that is used for the treatment of chronic hepatitis B in adults. It prevents the replication of the hepatitis B virus in the body. Hepsera is used to treat patients who have:
- active hepatitis B virus in their blood
- high levels of liver enzymes in their blood
- liver damage that is seen on a liver biopsyFor more health information on Hepsera visit your local doctor.
Hepsera is a medication that works by blocking the hepatitis B virus DNA polymerase, which is an enzyme crucial to the replication of the virus within the body.
In adults, the recommended dose of Adefovir is 1 tablet (10mg), once daily taken orally. Doses higher than those recommended must not be administered. The optimum duration of treatment is unknown.Adefovir should not be taken in adolescents or children under the age of 18 years.
Common side effects
The most common side effects of this medication include the following:
- stomach pain
- flatulence (excessive passing of wind)
Uncommon side effects
The following are some side effects that are less commonly experienced by people taking this medication. You should inform your doctor if any of these occur.
- Renal insufficiency
- Renal failure
- Itching of the skinFor further information talk to your doctor.