Generic Name: Sulfamethoxazole; Trimethoprim
Product Name: healthsense Trimethoprim with Sulfamethoxazole DS
Trimethoprim with sulfamethoxazole is used to treat a number of bacterial infections. It is most commonly used for treating respiratory illnesses and urinary and kidney infections. It is also used in skin and soft tissue infections, and against organisms that often attack HIV positive patients.
Trimethoprim and sulfonamide antibiotics work together to prevent bacterial growth by interfering with bacterial folate production â?? a process which is essential for bacterial survival. Thus it does not immediately kill sensitive bacteria, but rather prevents multiplication and spread of the organisms.
– Adults, children > 12 years: 1 tab twice daily after meals for at least 5 days (or until patient symptom free for 2 days).
– Children < 12 years: 4/20mg/kg 12 hourly
– P. carinii pneumonia: Total daily dose of 15-20 mg/kg trimethoprim and 100 mg/kg sulfamethoxazole divided equally and given 6 hourly for 14-21 days.
– Doses may require adjustment if kidney disease is present
Common side effects
– As with any other medication, Trimethoprim with sulfamethoxazole
– can cause a number of side effects, most of which are likely to be minor and should cease when the drug is stopped. Some of the more common side effects include:
– Nausea and vomiting
Uncommon side effects
– Less common side effects include:
– Drowsiness, headaches
– Blood abnormalities â?? generally mild and reversible
– Photosensitivity (sensitivity to light)
For further information talk to your doctor.