Generic Name: Piroxicam
Product Name: GenRx Piroxicam Capsules
Piroxicam is used to relieve pain and inflammation in the following conditions:
Piroxicam is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). NSAIDs relieve pain and inflammation by inhibiting the synthesis of prostaglandins, which have an important involvement in the production of inflammation, pain and fever in the body.
Piroxicam may be taken as tablets or it can be applied to the skin surface.
- The recommended initial dose is 10 mg once a day.
- The usual dose range is 10-20 mg once a day
- Doses greater than 20 mg a day carry an increased risk of adverse effects and are not recommended.
Topical dosing (Cream applied to skin):
- Apply Piroxicam to the affected area 3-4 times a day.
Common side effects
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stomach ulcers
- Salt and fluid retention
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Appetite loss
- Stomach cramps
- When Piroxicam is applied to the skin it may cause skin irritation, itching and a rash.
Uncommon side effects
- High potassium levels
- Kidney function impairment
- Ulceration of the oesophagus
- Heart failureWhen Piroxicam is applied to the skin it may cause shortness of breath, nausea, heartburn, abdominal pain, dermatitis, increased sensitivity to light, swelling of the feet and ankles and allergic reactions.
For further information talk to your doctor.