Generic Name: Diclofenac sodium
Product Name: GenRx Diclofenac
Diclofenac is used to relieve pain and inflammation in the following conditions:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Any pain due to inflammation
- Diclofenac is also used to treat dysfunctional vaginal bleeding
Diclofenac is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). NSAIDs relieve pain and inflammation by inhibiting the synthesis of prostaglandins, which have an important involvement in the production of inflammation, pain and fever in the body.
Diclofenac may be given orally, rectally or topically.
- 75-150 mg per day given in 2 or 3 divided doses.
- The maximum daily dose is 200 mg.
Children older than 6 months:
- For relief of pain: 1-2 mg/kg/ per day given in 2 or 3 divided doses.
- For juvenile chronic arthritis: 1-3 mg/kg per day given in 2 or 3 divided doses.
- Rub into the affected area 3-4 times daily.
Common side effects
- Stomach ulcers
- Salt and fluid retention
- High blood pressure
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach cramps
Uncommon side effects
- High potassium levels
- Kidney function impairment
- Ulceration of the oesophagus
- Heart failure
- Irritation of the rectum may occur with suppositories
- Topical agents (creams rubbed into the skin) may cause skin irritation, itching and rash.
For further information talk to your doctor.