Generic Name: Cimetidine
Product Name: GenRx Cimetidine
The use of Cimetidine is indicated in the following conditions:
- Peptic ulcer disease
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease
- Prevention of stress ulcers
- Scleroderma oesophagus
Cimetidine acts to reduce the production of acid in the stomach
- The initial recommended dose is 800 mg a orally day given as a single evening dose or as 2 divided doses for 4-8 weeks or if required 200 mg can be given intravenously or intramuscularly every 4-6 hours (this should be changed to oral therapy as soon as possible).
- Maintenance dosing is 400 mg a day orally given as a single evening dose or as 2 divided doses.
- 200mg orally given up to four times a day for 4-8 weeks.
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease:
- 400mg orally twice a day.
- Prevention of Stress ulcers:
- 200-400 mg orally or intravenously every 4-6 hours until risk factors are removed.
- Neonates (Less than one month of age): 5 mg/kg given orally or intravenously every 6 hours.
- Infants and children: 5-10 mg/kg given orally or intravenously every 6 hours.
Common side effects
Uncommon side effects
– Development of breast tissue in males- Decreased libido- Impotence
For further information talk to your doctor.