Gemfibrozil (Terry White Chemists)
Generic Name: Gemfibrozil
Product Name: Gemfibrozil (Terry White Chemists)
- Severe hypertriglyceridaemia in those with a risk of pancreatitis
- Dyslipidaemia associated with diabetes
- Reduction of risk of coronary heart disease in patients with type IIa and IIb hypercholesterolaemia
Gemfibrozil decreases serum triglycerides and total cholesterol and very low density lipoprotein cholesterol (VLDL) and increases high density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL). It inhibits peripheral lipolysis and decreases hepatic extraction of free fatty acids , reducing hepatic triglyceride production. It also inhibits synthesis and increases clearance of apolipoprotein B, a carrier of VLDL, leading to a decrease in VLDL production.
Recommended dose for adults is 600 mg twice daily. It should be administered half an hour before morning and evening meals. It may also be taken with food.
Common side effects
Following reactions were statistically more frequent in gemfibrozil treated group compared to placebo:
- Gastrointestinal – dyspepsia, abdominal pain, acute appendicitis.
- Cardiovascular – atrial fibrillation
Following reactions were present in more than 1% of patients but without a significant difference between the gemfibrozil treated group and placebo:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Gallbladder surgery
- Nervous system and special senses reactions
For further information talk to your doctor.