Generic Name: Docusate sodium
Product Name: Coloxyl Tablets
Used to treat constipation of many types, including:
– mild constipation (short-term relief)
– constipation of pregnancy
– severe constipation (to soften the impacted faeces).
Can be used to prevent constipation or straining in patients with:
– fissures or perianal abscess
– vaginal wounds from childbirth
– recent heart attack
Coloxyl (Docusate sodium) causes more water to move from the body into the colon, softening the stool and causing a laxative effect.
In all patients, maximum laxative effect may not be seen until 2-3 days after starting treatment.
– 2 tablets once a day after the evening meal
– 2-3 tablets once a day
– Coloxyl drops are preferable
Common side effects
– abdominal discomfort (eg: cramps or colic)
Uncommon side effects
Prolonged use or overdose may result in:
– water and salt imbalance, especially potassium loss
Hypersensitivity to Coloxyl may be seen.
For further information talk to your doctor.