Generic Name: Amoxycillin sodium
Product Name: Aspen Fisamox
Amoxil can be used to treat a range of conditions including:
– Infections in the blood (septicaemia)
– Chest infections
– Urinary infections
– Gonorrhoea (a sexually transmitted infection)
– Skin infections
– For the prevention of infection in individuals with certain heart conditions, such as artificial heart valves.
Amoxil belongs to the penicillin group of antibiotics. It works by attacking the cell walls of sensitive bacteria â?? preventing the bacteria from growing and also killing them.
Dosage will vary depending on the age of the patient, type of infection being treated and other factors, such as whether the patient has normal kidneys (this affects how fast the drug can be removed from the body).
– Normal renal function: Adults â?? 250mg 6-8 hourly;
Children (<20kg) â?? 20mg/kg/day 6-8 hourly. - Severe infections, lower respiratory tract infections : Adults â?? 500mg 6-8 hourly; Children â?? 40mg/kg/day - Septicaemia (bacterial): 1g 6-8 hourly (either by slow IV injection or infusion over 30 minutes)
Common side effects
As with any other medication, amoxil can cause a number of side effects, most of which are likely to be minor and short-lived. If any uncommon or serious side effects are experienced, the patient should inform their doctor immediately.
Minor side effects include:
– Diarrhoea (loose bowel movements)
– Indigestion and feeling nauseated or unwell
– Rash (particularly in association with glandular fever)
– Vaginal thrush in women
– Pain and swelling at the injection site
Uncommon side effects
Less common side effects include:
-A variety of skin reactions, such as a red bumpy rash, hives or itch.
-Blood disorders such as anaemia
For further information talk to your doctor.