Generic Name: Amiloride hydrochloride, Hydrochlorothiazide
Product Name: Amizide
Amizide is used in the treatment of fluid retention due to heart or liver failure and is also used to reduce high blood pressure.
Amizide contains two drugs amiloride hydrochloride and hydrochlorothiazide. Hydrochlorothiazide increases water and salt loss from the kidneys relieving fluid retention and lowering the blood pressure. Hydrochlorothiazide can cause excessive loss of potassium from the kidneys and the Amiloride’s main action is to conserve potassium by reducing its loss from the kidneys.
Fluid retention due to heart failure
- Dosing should start at 1-2 tablets daily and may be increased if necessary.
- The initial dose is 1-2 tablets, given once a day or in two divided doses. This dose may be increased if necessary.
Fluid retention due to liver failure
- Initial dosage is 1 tablet daily and this dose may be increased if necessary.
- Dosing should never exceed 4 tablets per day
Common side effects
Uncommon side effects
- Dizziness or lightheadedness when getting up from a lying or sitting position
- Increased sensitivity of skin to sunlight
- Muscle aches
- Increased urination at night
For further information talk to your doctor.