This healthy pork recipe is high in fibre and low in calories which is great for those wishing to prevent bowel cancer and irritable bowel syndrome.
Herb crusted pork medallions
- 4 pork medallions trimmed of any fat
- 2 tablespoons of seeded mustard
- ½ cup of wholegrain wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon of thyme chopped
- 1 tablespoon of parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 420 gram tin of black-eyed or white beans
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rub mustard over 4 medallions to coat.
- Combine chopped thyme, parsley, breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a large bowl.
- Press the coated pork medallions in the breadcrumb mix to cover.
- Heat a large frying pan, add olive oil.
- Cook medallions for 8-10 minutes either side until golden.
- Put tinned tomatoes, chopped onion, olive oil and salt and pepper in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Place the mixture and the beans in a pan and cook for 10-20 minutes. Add water if the mixture becomes too dry.
Place bean mix on a plate and top with the crusted pork medallion.
Preparation time: 20 Minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Serve this high fibre recipe with a side of tomato and cucumber salad for extra vitamins and minerals;
- When purchasing canned goods like beans and tomatoes, check the package labels and choose options with no added salt and fat.
Nutritional analysis per serve:
|Total fat||14.07 g|
|Saturated fat||2.72 g|
|Total sugars||7.29 g|
For more information on nutrition, including information on types and composition of food, nutrition and people, conditions related to nutrition, and diets and recipes, as well as some useful videos and tools, see Nutrition.