A recipe for a delicious low fat, low calorie smoothie packed with calcium and vitamins. The perfect beverage to serve friends on a hot day. It contains blueberries, mango and frozen yoghurt.
Makes 3 serves
- 75 g (half a punnet) blueberries
- 150 g fresh or frozen mango pieces
- 200 mL skim milk
- 250 mL fat-free plain yoghurt
- 250mL fat-free, unsweetened mango yoghurt
- Dash of vanilla essence
- 2 scoops (200 mL) low-fat vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Put all the ingredients in the blender.
- Mix for a minute or two.
- Serve immediately.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: No cooking
Difficulty rating: Easy
- To make thinner, add extra ice or skim milk.
- This is a fantastic beverage for people who need to add calcium to their diet. Calcium is important for maintaining healthy bones and teeth. Some people have higher calcium requirements, including:
- Use calcium-enriched soy products instead of milk, yoghurt and ice cream for a fantastic dairy-free drink, suitable for a vegan diet. Make sure you compare the calcium content of several brands (it’s on the food label) and choose the one with the most calcium.
- Check the fat and sugar content on the label when buying the ice cream. Choose the brand with the least fat and sugar. Reducing fat and sugar intake is an important part of improving your diet and reducing your risk of developing chronic health conditions like obesity, erectile dysfunction, type 2 diabetes mellitus and metabolic syndrome.
- Make this smoothie for a healthy snack or dessert.
This is a favourite summer beverage at Judy’s house in Cecil Hills, NSW.
Nutritional analysis per serve:
|Total fat||1.9 g|
|Saturated fat||1.2 g|
|Total sugars||36.5 g|
For more information on nutrition, including information on types and composition of food, nutrition and people, conditions related to nutrition, and diets and recipes, as well as some useful videos and tools, see Nutrition.