Generic Name: Cyclosporin
Product Name: Sandimmun
Indications for the use of Cyclosporine include:
- Prevention of organ rejection after kidney, liver, and heart transplantation
- Severe active rheumatoid arthritis
- Severe psoriasis
- Severe atopic dermatitis
- Autoimmune diseases
- Nephrotic syndrome
- Prevention of graft-versus-host disease
- Potential organ transplant recipients that are receiving a blood transfusion may also require cyclosporine
Cyclosporine acts by preventing the activation of the cells that are responsible for the production of an immune response in the body.
- 8-15 mg/kg orally per day given as 2 divided doses.If given with diltiazem 5?8 mg/kg orally per day given as 2 divided doses
- 2.5-5 mg/kg orally per day given as 2 divided doses.
Severe ulcerative colitis:
- 3-5 mg/kg intravenously daily.
Prevention of allogenic graft-versus-host disease:
- 3 mg/kg intravenously daily until oral treatment can be tolerated.
Common side effects
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol levels
- Numbness and tingling in the fingers and toes
- Increased risk of infection
- Gum overgrowth
- Increased body hair
- Elevated blood sugar levels
- Kidney function impairment
Uncommon side effects
- Muscle weakness
For further information talk to your doctor.