Generic Name: Triamcinolone acetonide
Product Name: Kenacort-A
Kenacort-A is given as an injection into joints, tendons, skin or muscle. Injection into joints and tendons may be given as short-term treatment of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, bursitis, gout, epicondylitis and tenosynovitis. Injections may be given into the skin to treat conditions such as keloids, ganglia, discoid lupus and psoriasis.
Injections into the muscle can be used to provide systemic corticosteroid therapy where oral administration is not an option.
Corticosteroids alter genes within the body’s cells to reduce the body’s normal inflammation and immune responses.
The dose of triamcinolone acetonide that is required will vary and must be individualised on the basis of the disease being treated and the response of the patient.
Initial recommended dose of triamcinolone acetonide is:
- 2.5 to 5 mg for smaller joints.
- 5 to 15 mg for larger joints.
- This will vary depending on the specific disease entity being treated.
The initial dose of triamcinolone acetonide will vary depending upon the specific disease entity being treated.The dose should be limited to 1.0 mg (0.1 mL) per injection.
- The injection should be deep into the gluteal muscle.
- Adults and children older than 12 years.
- The initial recommended dose is 60 mg.
- The dose usually ranges from 40 to 80 mg depending upon the patient’s response.
Children aged 6 to 12 years:
- The initial recommended dose is 40 mg.
- Corticosteroids can suppress growth in children and Kenacort-A is not recommended for children under six years of age.
S4, 10, 40.
Common side effects
- Redness, irritation and pain around injection site
- Abscess formation
- Increased or decreased skin pigment
- Joint pain
- Increased susceptibility to infections such as thrush
- Masking of signs of infection
- Osteoporosis and bone fractures
- Muscle weakness
- Increased appetite
- Delayed healing of wounds
- Thin fragile skin
- Reduced growth in children
- Cessation of menstruation
- Psychotic episodes
Uncommon side effects
- Burning and tingling sensation in the genital area
- Death of bone in the hip, ankle and shoulder
- Fractures of the vertebral bodies
For further information talk to your doctor.