Generic Name: Flecainide acetate
Product Name: Flecatab
- This drug may be used in the treatment of supraventricular arrhythmias due to pre-excitation syndromes, dual AV nodal pathways with disabling symptoms or paroxysmal atrial flutter or fibrillation.
- Flecainide acetate may also be used for the continuous maintenance of normal heart rhythm once it has been established.
- Flecainide acetate is a class I anti arrhythmic drug, i.e. membrane stabilising agent.
- Flecainide acetate inhibits fast sodium channels that are responsible for the rapid upstroke of the myocardial action potential (the heart cell electrical impulse) which hence stabilizes cardiac rhythm.
- This drug is also known to depress electrical conduction in all parts of the heart and in particular the His-Purkinje system.
- Dosage must be tailored to the individual patient – factors influencing this may include age, weight and clinical status.
- For patients with supraventricular arrhythmias, the recommended starting dose is 50mg every 12 hours. This may be increased in increments of 50mg twice daily every four days until the desired response is achieved to a maximum of 300mg/day.
- For sustained ventricular tachycardia the recommended initial dose is 100mg every 12 hours, This may be increased in increments of 50mg twice daily every four days until the desired response is achieved to a maximum of 400mg/day.
Common side effects
- visual disturbances
- double vision
- blurred vision
- light sensitivity
- shortness of breath
Uncommon side effects
- nausea and vomiting
- weakness/loss of strength
- chest pain
- abdominal pain
- loss of sensation
- skin rash
For further information talk to your doctor.