Generic Name: Phentermine
Product Name: Duromine
Indication of Duromine
Duromine is used to aid weight reduction in patients who are overweight or obese (BMI> > 30, or > 25 with increased morbidity risk). It is used in conjunction with a weight reduction regime (e.g. exercise and diet control).
This information will be collected for educational purposes, however it will remain anonymous.
Action of Duromine
Duromine contains phentermine as the active ingredient. Phentermine helps weight loss by causing suppression of appetite in the brain.
Dose advice of Duromine
Duromine is only available via prescription from your doctor.
Your doctor will make a decision as to whether or not you are in need of this medication.
- The best time to take Duromine is first thing in the morning, as it can cause sleeplessness if taken at night.
- It is important that you take the dose the doctor has recommended for you. Taking more than the recommended dose will increase the side effects you experience and may not increase the effect on weight loss.
- While taking this medication, your ability to drive or operate machinery may be affected. Take caution.
- May increase the effects of alcohol. Avoid alcohol while taking this medication.
- It is also important that you tell your doctor if you have any heart conditions, stomach ulcers, or other medical conditions so that your doctor can discuss the risks and benefits of using this medication.
It is important you notify your doctor if you are planning to be or are currently breastfeeding, as a more suitable medication may be available.
Schedule of Duromine
Duromine is Schedule 4.2
Common side effects of Duromine
All medicines have side effects. Some side effects can be serious, but the most common ones are mild. Usually the benefits of taking a medication outweigh the associated side effects. Your doctor would have considered these side effects before starting you on Duromine.
Common side effects are those that occur in more than 1% of patients prescribed Duromine. These include:
- Irregular or fast heart beat
- Diarrhoea, vomiting
- Anxiety, nervousness, restlessness
- Feelings of extreme happiness
- Taste disturbance
- Frequent urination
- Changes in sex drive
- Skin rash
- Swelling of the face
Uncommon side effects of Duromine
Side effects which occur in less than 1% of patients given Duromine are considered uncommon. Patients do not necessarily experience any of these side effects, so do not become alarmed by this list:
- Withdrawal symptoms after ceasing duromine
- High blood pressure
If you experience any of the listed side effects, or any other symptoms which appear abnormal or unusual, please tell your doctor.
- Australian Medicines Handbook. Phentermine. [Monograph online] AMH Pty Ltd 2007. [Cited December 1, 2007]. Available from: http://www.amh.net.au
- Duromine. MIMS Online. [Monograph online] MIMS Australia Pty Ltd 2007. [Cited December 1, 2007]. Available from: http://www.mims/com.au
- Lazo, J, Gilman A, Brunton L, Parker K. Goodman & Gilman’s The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. 11th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2005.
For further information talk to your doctor.