Generic Name: Dimenhydrinate
Product Name: Dramamine Junior Liquid
Indication of Dramamine Junior Liquid
Dramamine Junior Liquid is used for prevention and relief of nausea and vomiting associated with motion sickness, vertigo, electroshock therapy, anaesthesia and surgery, labyrinthitis and radiation sickness.
Action of Dramamine Junior Liquid
Dramamine Junior Liquid is an antihistamine. It also acts as a sedative agent and has anticholinergic properties. These properties enhances its effects on the vestibular system and its antinauseant properties.
Dose advice of Dramamine Junior Liquid
- Dramamine Junior Liquid should be taken with food.
- Dramamine Junior Liquid may cause drowsiness. If you are affected, do not drive or operate machineries as your alerness may be compromised.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or other medications that may potentiate the sedating effects of Dramamine Junior Liquid.
Dramamine Junior Liquid should not be used
- if you have known allergy to active ingredient of Dramamine Junior Liquid, dimenhydrinate
- in children under 2 years old
You must tell your doctor if you
- have glaucoma
- have emphysema
- have chronic pulmonary disease
- have shortness of breath
- have difficulty in breathing
- have difficulty in urination due to enlargement of the prostat gland
- have urinary retention
- have acute porphyria
- have epilepsy or seizure disorders
- are taking any other medicines, including those that you buy without a prescription from your pharmacy, supermarket or health food store
- are pregnant
- are breasfeeding or intend to breastfeed
Schedule of Dramamine Junior Liquid
Dramamine Junior Liquid is Schedule 3.
Common side effects of Dramamine Junior Liquid
All medicines have side effects. Most commonly the side effects are minor, however some can be more serious. Usually the benefits of taking a medication outweigh the associated side effects. Your doctor would have considered these side effects before starting you on Dramamine Junior Liquid.
Common side effects are those which occur in more than 1% of patients given Drmamine Junior Liquid. These include:
- Blurred vision
- Low blood presure
- Dry mouth
Uncommon side effects of Dramamine Junior Liquid
Side effects which occur in less than 0.1% of patients given Dramamine Junior Liquid are considered uncommon. Patients do not necessarily experience any of these side effects, so do not become alarmed by this list:
If you experience any of the listed side effects, or any other symptoms which appear abnormal or unusual, please tell your doctor.
- blood dyscrasias (prolonged therapy)
- fixed drug erruption
- Australian Medicines Handbook. Dimenhydrinate. January 2008 [cited 2008 September 7]. Available from URL: http://amh.hcn.net.au
- MIMS Online. Dramamine. 03 July 2001 [cited 2008 September 7]. Available from URL: http://mims.hcn.net.au
For further information talk to your doctor.