Generic Name: Gliclazide
Product Name: Diamicron MR
Diamicron MR is used in the treatment of type II (non-insulin dependent) diabetes that cannot be controlled with diet and exercise.
Gliclazide is a blood glucose-lowering agent. Non-insulin dependent diabetes (NIDDM) is due to a decreased sensitivity of the bodyï¿½s cells to insulin, but the pancreas still has the ability to produce insulin. Gliclazide stimulates the islet cells of the pancreas to secrete insulin, and also increases their sensitivity to their normal stimulus, glucose. These effects restore the (first-phase) insulin secretion that has become diminished in NIDDM patients. Gliclazide also has effects outside the pancreas, where it improves insulin-stimulated usage of glucose. This, combined with its continuing ability to stimulate insulin secretion, allow Gliclazide to have long-term blood glucose-lowering ability.Diamicron MR is a modified release tablet, meaning the blood concentrations of Gliclazide increase slowly. This produces steadier insulin release and more moderated diabetic control.
Diamicron MR is for use in adults only.
- Dose may vary from 30-120mg, taken once daily
- Should be taken with food, preferably at breakfast time
- Tablets are modified release, therefore should not be broken or chewed
- Always titrate dose according to individual patient requirements, in steps of 30mg
- Daily dose should not exceed 120mg
- Diamicron MR can replace other Gliclazide 80mg tablets, one for one
Common side effects
Hypoglycaemia is the most common and serious side effect of Diamicron. It is due to an extension of the therapeutic effect.Other common adverse effects include:
- Weight gain
- Epigastric discomfort/heartburn
- Skin itching
For further information talk to your doctor.