Generic Name: Paroxetine hydrochloride
Product Name: Aropax
- Major depression
- obsessive compulsive disorder
- Panic disorder
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- post-traumatic stress disorder
- Social phobia
Antidepressant action by selective inhibition of pre-synaptic uptake of serotonin (5- hydroxytryptamine, 5-HT), thus increasing the levels of this neurotransmitter in the brain
- 20mg once daily, gradually increasing as necessary to a maximum of 50mg once daily. Use of maintenance doses of >20mg is not usually necessary.
Obsessive compulsive disorder; social phobia; generalized anxiety disorder; post-traumatic stress disorder:
- 20mg once daily, gradually increasing as necessary to a maximum of 50mg once daily.
- Start at 10mg daily, increasing if necessary to 10mg after a week to 20mg once daily. Use of maintenance doses >20mg is not routinely necessary.
Common side effects
- Dry mouth
- Weight gain or loss
- Sexual dysfunction
Uncommon side effects
- Extrapyramidal reactions (including tartive dyskinesia and dystonia)
- Syndrome of inappropriate ADH secretion (SIADH)
- Abnormal platelet aggregation/ haemorrhagic complications (e.g. bruising, epistaxis, purpura)
Rare side effects
- Elevated liver enzymes
- Hepatic failure
- Blood dyscrasias
For further information talk to your doctor.